Tuesday 18 September 2012

The Bloody Stream, Howth, co. Dublin




A pub that has to be one of my favourites in Howth has to be The Bloody Stream, just below Howth DART station.

I fell in love with it last year at Christmas time while having some white wine and mussels with my friend by the lovely fireplace while it was crisp cold outside. Not only is it a good spot during the winter but also one of the best during the summer.
I found myself going a few times this year on sunny days because their outdoor seating area is big and exposed to the sun until late. I just love eating outside, sitting at their terrace, getting some vitamin D, looking at people, taking my time eating while chatting. If you think this sounds really French, you’re right!

The menu is mostly seafood with starters featuring classics such as Wrights seafood chowder (€5.95), a bucket of wild Irish mussels (€6.95) and main courses such as their traditional fish and chips (€14.95) or homemade Dublin bay prawn scampi (€17.95). The prices are above the normal pub prices but I guess it’s due to the touristy location. Loads of tourists stop by to try Irish food and locals enjoy their pint there too.
After a lovely stroll through the market (see previous post), my friend and I couldn’t resist to the call of some fresh seafood pub grub and the busy terrace filled with happy looking people (sunshine make people happy, it’s proven!).
As usual the place was packed but we were lucky to find a seat and the waitress looked after us straight away.
I’m a bit of a glutton, so I ordered two starters but not a main. I had the Wrights Oaked fresh salmon served with dill crème fraiche, capers berries, red onion and brown bread (€6.95). It was a decent size portion of fresh salmon and there was a bit of salad next to it.


I also had the calamari served with sweet chili. The batter was light and the dip tasty.



E. had the smoked seafood salad (€11.95) which consisted of Smoked salmon, smoked kippers & smoked peppered mackerel, served with summer salad and citrus dill dressing. She enjoyed the freshness of the seafood and found the dish nicely plated for pub food.



Because seafood doesn’t go without white wine, we also had one glass each of Chile Puna Snipe for €5 a glass. Overall it was a good meal, the dishes were simple but the presentation more attractive than most of the pub grubs in Dublin city centre. Because the tables are large and spaced out, you don’t get the feeling of an overcrowded place even when it’s busy.
The atmosphere was laid-back; it felt like the time slowed down and the Irish sun was unbelievably strong. I almost felt like the tourist I was 8 years ago, when I came to Howth for the first time…. but this time I had to go to work the next day as the Dubliner I now am.





The Bloody Stream
Howth Railway Station,
Howth  Dublin,
Co. Dublin City
01 839 5076
http://bloodystream.ie/

This is an independent review, I paid for my meal. 

SHARE: