Tuesday 1 October 2013

Bunsen, Wexford Street, Dublin 2


A few days ago Mr. FFID and I were walking home from Whelans on a Saturday night and could have murdered something fatty and salty. While going down Wexford Street, the red neon sign of Bunsen lured us in. It was time burger time!



We sat next to the window in this long room with simple decor: wooden chairs, exposed copper pipes along the walls and bare beige walls. There were mainly groups of people in their late twenties in the room, probably stopping for some grub during their night out.

The waitress brought the menu which was printed on a business card. Bunsen kept the menu very short: hamburger (€6.95), double (€8.95), cheeseburger (€7.45) or double cheeseburger (€9.45). You have the choice between hand cut (€2.95), shoestring (€2.95) or sweet potato fries (€4.95). If you're thirsty it's soda, craft beer or milkshake.

There is no fancy toppings: pickle, onion, lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard and mayo... as simple as that!




Mr. FFID ordered the cheeseburger and hand cut fries while I was (too) greedy and went for the double cheeseburger with shoestring fries. Everything came in their 'B' branded packaging on a metallic tray and the waitress brought us tons of napkins.



Mr FFID had a reasonable cheeseburger while...



I had a massive double cheeseburger. The bun was nicely golden brown, soft and lightly sweet. It was a good bun that didn't fall apart despite the copious amount of meat in it. The meat was very juicy and perfectly cooked medium rare as requested.



The cheese was gooey and the juices dripped all over the tray and onto my jeans, which made me use a ridiculous amount of napkins. This was a good burger but I have to say it tasted like Mc Donald's, it really did and my shoestring fries too! The difference is it's made with good, quality ingredients.


The bill of €34.80 (2 burgers, 2 fries and 2 craft beers) was brought to the table, it was expensive for what it was but then I never have burgers when eating out hence the shock. I knew I was giving my money to an Irish business, using locally sourced ingredients which is a good thing. We agreed that it was good drunk food in a hipster version of Mc Donald's. The service was fine but I found  the waitress a bit annoying when she asked us so many times if we wanted another beer, it felt like she was pushing us to buy more.

Bunsen is probably a good stop for a group of friends on a night out or for those who like simple burgers with no fancy toppings. It's much tastier than a kebab, more ethical than Mc Donald's and will remind you of burgers you had on your J1 in America. If you ever consider it for your lunch break I'd recommend a nap at your workplace afterwards!

Bunsen
36 Wexford St
Dublin 2


Facebook || Twitter || Instagram || Pinterest || Bloglovin ||

This is an independent review, I paid for my meal. 





SHARE: