Wednesday 23 October 2013

French Foodie in France: Salers


If you ever find yourself in the Auvergne region in France, please make sure to visit one of my favourite places on earth: Salers. My parents and I brought Mr. FFID for the first time there in September. I hadn't been there in 10 years but it hasn't changed a bit, still magical!


Let me introduce to Salers a bit.

Salers is actually the name of a cattle breed. They're gorgeous brown cows but Mr. FFID sees them as walking steaks.


Salers is also a delicious semi-hard cheese... You can visit La Cave de Salers to learn about it and buy some.


Salers is also the name of a square shaped biscuit...


 You can also drink Salers, since it's a Gentiane liqueur that people from Auvergne drink for apĂ©ritif


All these products have been name after the beautiful village of Salers which is listed as one of the most beautiful villages in France.

The buildings are made with dark volcanic stone and as you wander around the cobblestone streets of Salers you fell transported to the middle age.


If you like food, there are lots of artisan food shops and they're always in beautiful buildings full of character, which adds a special touch to your food shopping experience.



French salamis, sweets, craft beers... It's like heaven!


There is a sweet shop called 'Saveurs Campagne' that is probably the cutest sweet shop I've ever seen.


We ate at La Diligence where they serve local rustic dishes at very reasonable prices. It was packed but the service was so friendly. Cheese soup, stuffed cabbage, 'bouriole' (buckwheat crepe) are some of the things we had for lunch with my family and we were so full afterwards it was difficult to walk some of the steep streets.


So now, I hope you feel like you've been on little trip to Salers with me. I can't wait to go back already!

For more information about Salers Region
Visit http://www.salers-tourisme.fr/en




SHARE: